First off, I haven't been on here for a while, and I'm sorry XD The normal life stuff has been getting in my way, like usual. An unusual thing that's been going on is that I need to get a new laptop charger (again), so I haven't been able to order any prints, create my printed portfolio for clients, and upload any high res photos to any of my pages. The only way I've even been able to update Instagram so frequently is because when my photographer and I are editing photos, we email the finished JPEGs to me, so I can open and screen cap them on my phone. I'm classy like that.
I've been working on a bunch of leather the past few weeks, which is GREAT!!! Seriosuly, I'm so sick of bodysuits, it's not even funny. I'm making two suits of armor for myself for the spring and summer cons I'm going to
I'm also making some more wooden weapons as well to go with the armors. I'm going to be running out of room soon in my costume office though, so I may be looking into selling a few of my old costumes I don't wear anymore. This will also help fund my new car
I mentioned a new car at the end of the last paragraph, and I want to talk about it a bit on here. Long story short, I'm at the point of my life where I either need to make cosplaying monetarily lucrative or I need to seriously cut back in order to deal with adult responsibilities. I've been doing many costume commissions in the past year, and I'm going to be doing many more this year. Last year, I did these commissions to fund me cosplaying and going to conventions, and it was successful! I covered about 75% of my total costs last year on commission money (the remaining 25% percent was because of going to a con on vaca with the hubby). This is also a big reason why I started working more cons and leading so many panels at cons I go to; to cut down costs. Unfortunately, this was all before my car decided to start crapping out on me. If you've been following my stuff for the past year, you'll know that I've put over $2k into my car, just last year. The mechanic told me it's to the point that I need to get a new car, before this one breaks down for good.
his year, in order to help myself get a new car, I'm not making any new cosplays that I don't already have materials for or get sponsored to make. I'm also not going to any conventions that I'm not getting all expenses covered at. This way, all of my commission profits will be going towards my new car (and some household bills). I'm also putting all of the money I make off of my prints towards my new car as well. This is the reason why I've been pushing my Patreon, print shop, and commissions so hard in the past few months. Literally every dollar I make via cosplay and costuming is getting my family one step closer to a new, safe vehicle. I'm a hardworker by nature, and I don't feel right indulging in an expensive hobby when my family genuinely needs something. That's not right, and I'm sacrificing because it's the responsible thing to do. The only aspect of my cosplay business that I am still completely putting on my cosplaying and going to cons is from my Patreon. I'm doing this because Patreon is specifically for furthering an artist's work, so I feel that monthly income needs to be directly allocated towards costuming. I actually have a fun costume I'm working on that is completely funded by my Patrons ^_^
Now I'm going to be talking a bit about my Patreon account. It's the platform I'll be posting my extra content on. I have loads of people who ask me for tutorials about different things like bodypaint, cell shading, patterning, ect. My response: you want a tutorial, donate to my Patreon. It actually costs me money to make tutorials because I have to actually make the thing for the tutorial, use up my expensive special ordered makeup, drive to my school's computer lab to use their Adobe suit to actually make the tutorial, or if I need it filmed, to have a friend come and film me while I make it or talk about it, then edit, ect. You're getting what I'm throwing down. It costs both time and money, which I frankly don't have. I'd love to make in depth tutorials for all the questions I get, I really would, but I just can't afford to take fewer commissions so I can work on an extra thing. It's the same thing with cosplays. If you want me to make a specific character, put money towards it. I have HUNDREDS of cosplays I want to make in my life, but a very limited money source. Since I need to take on at least 20 commissions a year in order to have a decent profit, I have very limited time to actually make my own costumes as well. Patreon can help both in the time and money aspect of my dilemma. I really do feel like Patreon is the platform that a lot of artists need in our world economy right now. My problem isn't unique; it's a problem for a lot of artists around the world.
Patreon link: patreon.com/MikomiChan